Website New Avenues for Youth
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 23rd year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The Youth Advocate provides independent living skills training and guidance in a multicultural residential setting. In addition, the Youth Advocate manages a milieu setting, maintaining a safe and supportive environment while motivating youth to explore alternatives to street life through a Positive Youth Development model. The position includes some meal preparation and general facility maintenance/cleaning. The person in this position is required to be readily available to communicate in a both English and Spanish as they will utilize both languages in the performance of their job duties.
The rate of pay for this position is $16.50 an hour.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Experience working with high risk populations
• Experience in responding to crisis situations with homeless or at-risk youth
• Fluent in both English and Spanish
• Exceptional patience and sensitivity for homeless or at risk youth
• Developing relationships with youth to assist them in their daily responsibilities within the programs.
• Work to create a space that reflects the tenants of Positive Youth Development
• Work to encourage youth participation within the programs
• In conjunction with the program teams, provide basic services, special projects and a safe, clean, supportive atmosphere within the facilities
• Be a part of the agency team; participate in the planning and implementation of treatment plans for youth to facilitate their exit from street life
• Ensure program rules are being followed. Maintain a safe environment, emotionally and physically, for all youth
• Attend and participate in a strength-based and solution-focused manner in meetings and supervision as requested
• Assist staff in facilitating youth groups and activities
• Oversee and participate in the cleaning and up-keep of the program facilities
• Work assigned shifts with flexibility to cover all departments as needed
• Ability to work with diverse staff and excel in a multi-cultural environment
To apply, click on the ‘Apply for Job’ button at the bottom of this screen. Attach your resume, and paste your cover letter, or a message to HR in the space provided. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity with your submission. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.