Youth Life Skills Coach – PDX Connect
Salary Range: $31,200 – $33,000 DOE
Job Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekends required
Job Location: Portland, OR
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The Youth Life Skills coach is responsible for providing case management, skill development, resource brokerage and referral, case coordination, and advocacy services to former and current youth in foster care for ages ranging from 16-21.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Basic working knowledge of the foster care system
• Ability to track, document, and evaluates youth participation and progress and prepare required DHS reports
• Performs budgeting and financial support for youth receiving state/federal funds
• Accompany youth to community events and activities associated with their transition plan
• Works with youth support network around transition plan and goals as outlined by the youth
• Helps develop and implement life skills training curriculum for both one on one and group settings •Ability to utilize traditional and non-traditional methods of education to engage youth
• Provide support and guidance to help youth expand work readiness skills, post-secondary readiness, and transitional life skills
• Coordinates efforts with other New Avenues programs and other agency staff to coordinate services
• Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth
Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in social work, psychology, or related human services field OR a combination of a lived personal experience in foster care and related work experience.
- 2+ years of experience working with youth facing multiple barriers strongly preferred
- Use of personal vehicle for transporting self and clients for work purposes required
New Avenues offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com attn. Emilie. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.