Location: Portland, OR
Hours: Full-time, occasional evenings and weekends required
Salary: $34,000 – $38,000 DOE
About New Avenues for Youth
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 21st year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies, and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
This position serves as both a My Life and Life Skills Coach provide case management, skill development, resource brokerage and referral, case coordination and advocacy services to former and current youth in care ages 16-21. Coaches will typically carry a caseload of 2 youth with more intensive service needs (My Life-enrolled youth) and approximately 18 general ILP youth. For the My Life-enrolled caseload, implement and complete My Life coaching intervention for the youth being served. Work to support transition-age youth to develop and strengthen their self-determination and connection to community allies in an effort to prepare them for better outcomes when they transition from foster care. For all youth in our programs, maintain an emphasis on enhancing social capital and building internal assets, working closely with the team to pilot a tiered model for transition-based services for youth preparing to exit foster care.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Basic working knowledge of the foster care system
- Ability and desire to work with multicultural staff and youth
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to provide constant support and guidance to help youth expand work readiness skills, post-secondary readiness, and transitional life skills and accomplish identified goals.
- Desire to utilize traditional and non-traditional methods of education to engage youth in the program and identify school, work and life related goals and plans
- Aptitude to develop comprehensive youth transition plans, in a youth-led manner, through youth input and working with youth support network
- Ability to administer a range of assessments to determine youth’s current skills and areas of growth
- Use of personal vehicle for transporting self and clients for work purposes required
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Bilingual Spanish/English speaking a plus
Education & Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology or related human services field or combination of a lived personal experience in foster care and work experience. Will consider lived experience in substitute of years of Education. Masters level a plus.
- A minimum of two years of experience working with youth who face multiple barriers
- Successful completion of My Life curriculum training and certification during the first 9-12 months of employment
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org