Location: Portland, OR
Salary Range: $34,000 – $36,000 DOE
Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekends required
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
The Case Manager/Assertive Engagement Specialist provides engagement and clinical case management services with an interdisciplinary team to high-risk youth who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness. The responsibilities of this position include intake and assessment; individual counseling; crisis intervention; goal planning; resource brokerage and referral; advocacy & coordination of services; follow-up and after care; and clinical and financial record keeping and reporting.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Desire to work with multicultural staff and youth
- Understands the issues of substance abuse, mental health, trauma, abuse and adolescent development including brain development.
- Excellent communication, organization, creativity, flexibility, optimism, positive humor and overall interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct initial assessments to identify the youth’s presenting issues and determine youth’s strengths and needs with attention to immediate service provision.
- Aptitude to maintain professional and trusting relationships with youth that encourage positive social and emotional development.
- Understands and values Multnomah County Assertive Engagement goals, objectives and outcomes and upholds the policies, mission, goals and practices of the Homeless Youth Continuum (HYC).
- Ability to effectively manage crisis by recognizing and providing appropriate intervention as needed.
- Presence to work closely with other YOC staff to coordinate services and supports on site.
- Knowhow to engage community members and community partners in support of youth.
- Exhibits an awareness of commonalities and differences among youth with diverse backgrounds and experiences, and role models the principles of inclusion and tolerance.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Must have valid Driver’s license, acceptable driving record, and reliable transportation
- Bilingual: English/Spanish preferred
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in counseling, psychology or social work. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with high-risk youth required.
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with sexual minority and culturally diverse staff, participants and community.
New Avenues for Youth offers a generous benefits package. You can learn more about New Avenues for Youth by visiting our website at newavenues.org. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org