LOCATION: Lake Oswego, OR
HOURS: Full-time; some weekend shifts required
RATE OF PAY: $33,000 – $35,000 DOE
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The Youth Advocate will work at New Avenues Residential Program for multicultural foster care youth ages 7-20. The Youth Advocate is responsible for meeting youth’s basic needs, overseeing residential care, facilitating individual and group activities, overseeing medication compliance, supporting mental health and treatment plans, transporting youth to necessary appointments, and supporting the health and safety of the residents. The position includes some general facility cleaning and upkeep.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Prior experience working with high risk and/or volatile youth
- Exceptional patience and sensitivity
- Ability to swiftly build trust and rapport with youth to effectively assist in their daily activities
- Ability to support and maintain a safe environment, emotionally and physically, for all youth residents
- Proven aptitude for facilitating youth groups and activities
- Participating in a strength-based and solution-focused manner in meetings
- Desire to foster equity, work with diverse staff, and excel in a multi-cultural environment
- Oversee and participate in the cleaning and up-keep of the facility
- Applicants are required to have a valid driver’s license
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaking a plus
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at newavenues.org. Please be sure to indicate where you came across this opportunity. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org