Department: Housing and Drop-In
Location: Portland, OR
Rate of Pay: $15 per hour
Hours: Part-time, some evenings and weekends required
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The Youth Advocate is responsible for engaging youth and providing supportive services through the Positive Youth Development model. They will work within two New Avenue’s programs, our Day Services/Drop-In center and our Transitional Housing program. They will work to engage young people and support them with their personal goals. They will provide guidance, information and referral, and assist youth working toward independent living. The Youth Advocate must maintain a safe and supportive multicultural environment for homeless youth. The ability to motivate youth to explore and accept alternatives to street life is also a key responsibility.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience working with high-risk youth required.
- Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Works within assigned shifts in Transitional Housing and Drop In.
- Develops relationships with youth to assist them in their daily responsibilities
- Assesses youth for housing, food, clothing and support needs, and refers youth to the appropriate organizations & resources
- Implements the tenants of Positive Youth Development (Belonging, Competence, Usefulness & Inclusion) in all interactions with youth, projects and programs
- Works to create a space that reflects the tenants of Positive Youth Development.
- Encourages youth participation in the Drop-in and Transitional Housing communities
- Works with youth to identify and implement youth driven projects, programs and leadership opportunities.
- In conjunction with the Transitional Housing and Drop In teams, provides basic services, special projects and a safe, clean, supportive atmosphere within the facility.
- As part of the agency team, participates in the planning and implementation of treatment plans for transitional housing youth to facilitate their exit from street life.
- Assists youth in following youth’s transitional goal plan. Helps youth identify and overcome barriers to independent living.
- Ensures program rules are being followed. Maintains a safe environment, emotionally and physically, for all youth.
- Attends and participates in a strength based and solution focused manner in weekly team meetings, staff meetings, area meetings and supervision.
- Maintains knowledge of the status of youth within the agency and the Homeless Youth Continuum.
- Provides information and direction to volunteers and relief staff who work in the program
- Completes required paperwork in a timely manner.
- Leads assigned youth groups each week and assist co-workers in the facilitation of their groups and activities.
- Assumes lead advocate responsibilities as requested by the program coordinator.
- Oversees and participates in the cleaning and up-keep of program facilities
- Assists with On-Call training for new employees hired in this capacity
- Updates the coverage schedule as needed
- New Avenues for Youth is a youth serving organization. As such, all employees are required to support the Agency’s cause by periodically participating as a volunteer at associated events.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at newavenues.org. Please be sure to indicate where you came across this opportunity. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org