Salary Range: $33,000-$35,000
Job Hours: Full-time, Monday – Friday
Job Location: Portland, OR
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The Skills Trainer/Teacher will work with New Avenues PAVE and Education programs to support homeless and at-risk youth to develop school and work readiness skills and follow through on educational, career, employment, and personal goals. They will use a variety of methods and tools to improve student learning, school retention, and the transition to the workplace or post-secondary. As a part of the Education Program, they will provide GED tutoring and implement and support engagement activities and post-secondary instruction for students. The Skills Trainer/Teacher will help to maintain a structured, supportive and safe milieu.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- Ability to utilize traditional and non-traditional methods of education to engage youth in the program and identify school and work related goals and plans.
- Provides one on one and group tutoring in order to prepare students for the GED test.
- Provides educational and vocational assessments to determine youth’s current skills and areas of growth.
- Facilitates individual and group opportunities for youth to further develop education and life skills through a positive youth development approach, with a project based learning model.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Experience working with high-risk youth required.
- Vocational/educational training and teaching experience
New Avenues offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com