Location: Portland, OR
Salary Range: $37,000 – $39,000 DOE
Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekends required
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 21st year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
Promoting Avenues to Employment (PAVE) offers job training, occupational skills training, internships, and other employment and education-related opportunities for young people ages 17-24. The Service Industry Career Specialist will work with New Avenues PAVE program to support homeless and at-risk youth to develop service industry-specific work and school readiness skills and follow through on career, employment, educational and personal goals. They will be responsible for developing and delivering culinary, service, and hospitality focused curriculum while facilitating comprehensive job readiness trainings for youth. As a part of the PAVE team, the Service Industry Career Specialist will help to maintain a structured, supportive and safe milieu across multiple locations including the Youth Opportunity Center located in East Portland, area high schools, and our downtown location. The Service Industry Career Specialist will be responsible for program outreach, service coordination, community partner engagement, and specialized youth trainings in the service industry. In addition, the Service Industry Career Specialist will be responsible for tracking and monitoring data/program outcomes.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to create and implement a job readiness training curriculum focused on the hospitality, culinary, and service industries.
- Ability to swiftly build trust and rapport with youth.
- Desire to foster equity, work with diverse staff and youth, and excel in a multi-cultural environment.
- Provides career awareness to students through the use of field trips, job shadowing, and project based learning opportunities, business tours and volunteer opportunities.
- Poses strong teamwork and communication skills with the ability to collaborate with local restaurants, cafes, hotels and other service industry partners to provide tours, trainings and to expose youth to work opportunities.
- Applicants are required to have a valid Driver’s license, good driving record and ability to drive company vehicle to transport clients to various community activities.
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
Education & Experience:
- Experience in outcomes-based program or curriculum development.
- Group facilitation experience required.
- Experience working with underrepresented youth ages 17-24.
- Experience working in or with the culinary, hospitality or service industries and the desire to facilitate tours, trainings, and to expose youth to work opportunities.
- Vocational/educational training and experience preferred.
New Avenues offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com