Location: Portland, OR
Salary Range: $37,000 – $39,000 DOE
Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekends required
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 21st year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
Promoting Avenues to Employment (PAVE) offers job training, occupational skills training, internships, and other employment and education-related opportunities for young people ages 17-24. The Career Coach will work within the PAVE Program to assist young people in developing and following through on career, employment, educational, and personal goals. As a part of the PAVE team, the Career Coach will help maintain a structured, supportive and safe milieu across multiple agency and community spaces. In addition, the Career Coach will collaborate with staff across New Avenues in order to create a model that provides the most effective, comprehensive services for program youth.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Desire to work with multicultural staff and youth.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Knowhow to maintain accurate and timely documentation of all services, track youth participation in development activities, and document youth progress in accordance with performance reporting requirements.
- Utilizes the career mapping process to engage youth in the program and identify school and work related goals and plans.
- Conducts WIOA eligibility reviews and follows NextGen enrollment processes.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with the job training team to implement strategies to successfully meet program outcomes.
- Provides support and guidance to help youth expand work readiness skills, post-secondary readiness, and accomplish identified goals.
- Maintains regular bi-weekly to monthly contact with youth enrolled in PAVE.
- Develops and implements job readiness training curriculum in coordination with the Workforce Skills Trainer.
- Willingness to transport clients to various community activities is required.
- Highly proficient computer skills required.
- Valid Driver’s license and acceptable driving record required.
- Bilingual: English/Spanish preferred.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, education, psychology or social work, OR equivalent education and experience required.
- Vocational/educational training and experience preferred.
- Workforce development experience preferred.
New Avenues for Youth offers a generous benefits package. You can learn more about New Avenues for Youth by visiting our website at newavenues.org. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com