LOCATION: Portland Area
SALARY: $13 an hour + use of a furnished 1-bedroom apartment conditional to employment, with internet service and utilities included.
HOURS: Part-time, 15 hours per week. Flexible schedule with evenings and weekends required + on-call for overnight emergencies
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies, and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
The On-Site Residential Advisor for New Meadows serves as a positive role model to community partners and youth ages 17 to 25 who are transitioning out of foster care. By leveraging the adjacent Bridge Meadows intergenerational healing community and New Avenues for Youth self-sufficiency and life skills services, resources have been combined to build and operate this community for youth graduating to independent living. The RA will live on-site in a 1-bedroom apartment and have set office hours. The RA monitors compliance with community expectations and reports violation to the Housing Navigation Supervisor for follow up. The RA responds to lockouts, emergency maintenance issues as they occur within and outside of normal office hours, provides additional related assistance to residents as needed, performs light maintenance tasks and is expected to respond to property related matters within 1-hour when on-call.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree a plus, or mix of education and equivalent work and life experience. Minimum GED required.
- Experience working directly with high-risk and/or houseless youth a plus
- On-Site property management experience a plus
- Diverse candidates and/or those with lived experience encouraged to apply
Skills and Knowledge:
- Capable of and willing to assist with overnight emergencies as they arise.
- Capable of and willing to assist youth in their daily responsibilities within the community
- Ability to oversee and participate in the cleaning and up-keep of facility
- Comfort with modeling compliance with rules and regulations and addressing non-compliance as it arises.
- Knowledge of and experience with light maintenance tasks
- Ability and desire to work with diverse staff and youth and to excel in a multi-cultural environment
- Bilingual English and Spanish speaking a plus
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com