LOCATION: Portland, OR/Lake Oswego, OR
RATE OF PAY: $13.00 – $15.00 an hour
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The On-Call Advocate fills in for vacant shifts at our youth housing and drop-in facilities. During these shifts, the On-Call Advocate will engage youth through the Positive Youth Development model providing guidance, support, and information in a multicultural environment for homeless, at-risk, or foster care youth awaiting placement. The On-Call Advocate assists with overseeing a milieu setting, while maintaining a safe and supportive environment. The On-Call Advocate also assists in the upkeep of the space by keeping it clean.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Ability to develop relationships with youth to assist them in their daily responsibilities within the programs.
• Works to create a space that reflects the tenants of Positive Youth Development
• Ability to encourage youth participation within the programs
• In conjunction with the program teams, provide basic services and a clean, supportive atmosphere within the facilities
• Works to maintain a safe environment, emotionally and physically, for all youth
• Oversee and participate in the cleaning and up-keep of the program facilities
• Ability to work with diverse staff and excel in a multi-cultural environment
• Work assigned shifts with flexibility to cover as needed
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. While all hours and shifts require periodic coverage, please indicate if you are available for overnights and/or weekends when applying.
You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at newavenues.org. Please be sure to indicate where you came across this opportunity. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com