Location: Portland, OR
Rate of Pay: $12.00 per hour
Hours: Varied; dependent on scheduling needs
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The On-Call Advocate will engage youth through the Positive Youth Development model providing guidance, support, and information in a multicultural environment for homeless and at-risk youth. Supervise a milieu setting, maintaining a safe and supportive environment while motivating youth to explore alternatives to street life.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Develop relationships with youth to assist them in their daily responsibilities and tutoring as needed.
- Works assigned shifts with flexibility to cover Education classroom as needed
- Implement the tenants of Positive Youth Development (Belonging, Competence, Usefulness and Inclusion) in all interactions with youth, projects and within the programs
- Works to encourage youth participation within the programs
- Assist staff in facilitating youth groups and activities
- As part of the agency team, participates in the planning and implementation of treatment plans for youth to facilitate their exit from street life.
- Ensure program rules are being followed. Maintain a safe environment, emotionally and physically, for all youth.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in teaching, psychology, or social work or equivalent experience working with high-risk youth.
- Prior experience working with high-risk youth is required
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at newavenues.org. Please be sure to indicate where you came across this opportunity. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org