Location: Portland, OR
Hours: Full-time, occasional evenings and weekends required
Salary: $34,000 – $37,000 DOE
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
Provide focused outreach to youth / young adults ages 13-25 that are at risk of or currently being sexually exploited or trafficked. This person will work closely with the CSEC Coordinator and agency staff to guide the outreach efforts toward prevention, education and awareness of the needs of this population and helping young people who are at risk or being sexually exploited through assertive engagement and youth-driven, goal-based case management. Using a positive youth development approach, the work will focus on prevention, intervention and transition through harm reduction, life skill development and support.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Ability to deeply connect and engage with youth
- Basic knowledge of the child welfare system and spectrum of services for youth in foster care preferred.
- Understanding of the issues of exploitation, substance abuse, mental health, trauma, developmental disability, abuse and adolescent development preferred.
- Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Use of personal vehicle for transporting self and clients for work purposes required.
- Bilingual Spanish/English speaking a plus.
Education & Experience:
- A combination of a Bachelor’s degree and lived personal experience in foster care and/or a Master’s degree in social work, psychology or related human services field. Will consider lived experience as substitute for years of Education.
- Experience engaging youth who face multiple barriers, preferably around contexts associated with exploitation.
- Minimum two years of experience working with high-risk youth preferred.
- Diverse candidates and/or those with lived experience encouraged to apply.
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com