Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekends required
Location: Portland, OR
Salary: $36,000-$39,000 DOE
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The LGBTQ Community Education Specialist takes the lead on developing and implementing Bridge 13 trainings to broader communities and New Avenues staff. SMYRC’s Bridge 13 community education is designed to address root causes of discrimination impacting the LGBTQ community and to create safer spaces for queer and trans people of all ages. The LGBTQ Community Education Specialist also works to provide culturally inclusive and humble engagement services to LGBTQ youth in schools and community spaces and to community providers and partners to grow SMYRC prevention services and the Bridge 13 training program. This position also represents the SMYRC program and New Avenues for Youth in community events, panels and forums. In addition, the LGBTQ Community Education Specialist works with SMYRC young people to engage New Avenues staff and the community in conversations about social justice, privilege and oppression, power dynamics and intersectional identities.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Understanding of the issues of LGBTQ youth, substance abuse, mental health, trauma, abuse and adolescent development including brain development
- Demonstrated ability to effectively provide community engagement and outreach services
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to make effectively network and build community partnerships to increase prevention services for the SMYRC program
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license are required
- Bilingual (in Spanish and English), and bi-culturally competent highly preferred
Education & Experience:
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with sexual minority and culturally diverse staff, participants and community
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Education or a related field, OR equivalent lived experience with community organizing or community education
- Proven experience providing training for groups
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity with your submission. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org