LOCATION: Portland, OR
SALARY: $42,000-$45,000 DOE
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies, and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
Under the guidance of the Human Resources Director, the Human Resources Specialist is responsible for handling various human resource functions including the area of benefits, employee on and off boarding, staff events, and leave administration. This individual brings a flexible approach to the position and is eager to assist the HR Director and New Avenues staff with the many diverse responsibilities and requests that fall under the human resources umbrella.
- Performs customer service functions for HR by answering employee requests and inquires
- Handles benefits enrollment for employees including the open enrollment process
- Reviews new hire paperwork with employees and collects required documentation
- Handles processing and completion of employee background checks
- Completes employee data entry for the agency’s 403b retirement savings plan
- Assists with various employee recruitment efforts as needed
- Meets with staff in regard to leave requests and handles all related documentation, form completion, and monitoring for compliance
- Completes all verification of employment requests
- Assists with processing of employee terminations
- Maintains all employee files and ensures all documents are located in the appropriate file
- Conducts routine audits and required reporting related to benefits and other HR programs
- Assists the HR Director with the planning and execution of annual staff events
- Assists the HR Director with the completion of various projects that arise
Experience and Education:
- A minimum of two years of Human Resources administrative experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or Business Administration preferred
Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent communication skills and proven success with managing detailed assignments
- Ability to work independently and make sound decisions in the best interest of the organization
- Desire and ability to work with highly diverse staff and youth from varied cultural, racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities with often conflicting priorities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs Outlook, Word, and Excel
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org