Housing Placement Navigator for Homeless Youth
Location: Portland, OR
Salary Range: $33,000- $37,000 DOE
Hours: Full-time, some evenings and weekends required
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The Position: The Position:
The Housing Navigator provides strengths-based advocacy and housing placement services for homeless youth. They work closely with Housing Specialists and Case Managers to successfully house youth and provide them with other supports, as needed. The Housing Navigator needs to understand the housing market and have an understanding of landlord/tenant laws, rights and responsibilities. They will play a key role in identifying housing options, building positive relationships with landlords and moving youth into housing units. They will work will work closely with Case Managers at New Avenues, and also in partnership with other organizations serving homeless youth through the Homeless Youth Continuum. The Housing Navigator will be expected to effectively understand and deliver services within the framework of Assertive Engagement and Trauma Informed Care.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services field OR a minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a housing program or working with individuals experiencing homelessness
- Awareness of the housing rental market
- Strong computer competency, including Excel
- Rent Well Instructor certification preferred
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) and bi-culturally competency a plus
- Current, valid driver’s license and available use of a personal vehicle
Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong ability to build and maintain relationships with community partners, including, but not limited to landlords, property management companies, Home Forward, HUD, the Portland Housing Bureau and service providers in the Homeless Youth Continuum (Janus, Outside In, New Avenues for Youth, and the NAYA Family Center).
- Provide education to youth about available resources and provide support and advocacy for them to access and navigate the resources they need
- Identify affordable/eligible rental housing units based on youth preferences
- Assist youth with housing search including helping them to overcome barriers to housing Perform comparable rental unit searches as needed where available unit is over rent reasonable guidelines
- Perform Housing Quality Standards inspections
- Perform move-ins ensuring that youth understand the rental agreement
- Support youth in accessing and maintaining permanent housing
- Develop and disseminate tools and resources that support efforts to efficiently and effectively identify housing, eliminate barriers to housing, and ensure long-term housing stability.
- Participate in crisis response to landlords/property manager
- Access, track, and manage rent assistance funds
- Meet with Housing Navigators and support staff in the Homeless Youth Continuum to coordinate efforts and improve services and outcomes
- Provide housing-related training to staff working directly with youth(so they may better support youth with housing)
- Teach Rent Well
- Support the Housing Manager with systems, processes, and tools that ensure equitable access, high quality service delivery, accurate reporting, and effective use of funding
- Solid understanding of Landlord/Tenant and Fair Housing laws
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.