LOCATION: Portland Area
HOURS: Full-time, some evenings and weekends required
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies, and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
The Housing Case Manager for New Meadows serves as a positive role model to community partners and youth ages 17 to 25 who are transitioning out of foster care. By leveraging the adjacent Bridge Meadows intergenerational healing community and New Avenues for Youth self-sufficiency and life skills services, resources have been combined to build and operate this community for youth graduating to independent living. This position will work closely with the New Meadows Community Engagement Specialist, Resident Advisor, Housing Navigator and the Bridge Meadows Community Liaison to support the youth at New Meadows. Responsibilities may include: intake and assessment; crisis support; case planning and contracting; resource brokerage and referral; case coordination and advocacy; housing-specific skill building; housing goal development; budget management; conflict management with and among residents; maintenance of clean living environment; and tracking of youths’ productive hours. Late afternoon and early evening availability is required for this position to best serve youth.
Experience and Education:
- A Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology or related human services field or combination of a lived personal experience in foster care and work experience. Will consider lived experience in substitute of years of Education.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience working with youth who face multiple barriers
Skills and Knowledge:
- Basic working knowledge of the foster care system
- Experience working with youth in transitional or permanent housing environments
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with multi-cultural staff and youth
- Competency working with an interdisciplinary support team
- Strong organizational and coordination skills
- Capable of and willing to assist youth in their daily responsibilities within the community
- Ability and desire to work with diverse staff and youth and to excel in a multi-cultural environment
- Bilingual English and Spanish speaking a plus
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com