LOCATION: Portland Area
SALARY: $36,000-39,000 DOE
HOURS: Full-time, flexible hours required
About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues is a social services agency working in partnership with the Portland area community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 20th year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people experience health, wellbeing, and a self-determined home. We understand that racism, poverty, and experiences of oppression lead to social injustice and housing instability for youth. Due to current and historical exploitation and racism, youth of color are disproportionally impacted. In order to advance equity at New Avenues and fulfill our mission, we must address how privilege has shaped our organizational culture, policies, and practices.
New Avenues believes equity is an ongoing commitment without closure; in taking risks, we will learn from our mistakes. We will listen to and learn from young people’s lived experiences. We will seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to simplify or silence hard truths. We make these commitments because we believe in social justice and the inherent human dignity of each individual.
Under the guidance of New Avenues Employment Manager, the East County Employment Navigator will work with New Avenues PAVE job training program supporting homeless and at-risk youth to develop and follow through on career, employment, educational, and personal goals. This position is also responsible for expanding PAVE services to New Avenues East Connect program to provide one-on-one services and support in order to help youth obtain and retain employment and complete education goals. As a part of the PAVE team, the Employment Navigator will help maintain a structured, supportive and safe milieu. In addition, the Employment Navigator will collaborate with staff across New Avenues in order to create a model that provides the most effective, comprehensive services for program youth.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Desire and ability to work with highly diverse staff and youth from varied cultural, racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Utilization of an Assertive Engagement approach and a Trauma Informed Care lens when working with youth
- Ability to effectively collaborate with the job training team to implement strategies to successfully meet program outcomes.
- Develops and implements job readiness training curriculum in coordination with the Workforce Skills Trainer, Career Coaches, Service Industry Career Specialist, and the Youth Opportunity Center Manager.
- Provides career awareness to students through the use of field trips, job shadowing, and project based learning opportunities, business tours and volunteer opportunities.
- Knowhow to maintain accurate and timely documentation of all services. Tracks youth participation in development activities and document youth progress in these activities in accordance with performance reporting requirements using an electronic data collection system.
- Willingness to transport clients to various community activities is required, as well as the ability to drive from Downtown to East County as needed
- Highly proficient computer skills
- Valid Driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Bilingual: English/Spanish preferred
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, education, psychology or social work, OR equivalent experience working with high-risk youth required. Vocational/educational training and experience preferred.
- Workforce development experience preferred
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity in your response. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org